FIRE Within Educator
ABOUT: The FIRE Within empowers high school students to research and understand causes of mental health distress among their peers, apply entrepreneurial strategies to upstream suicide prevention, and bring positive change to their communities. Through this program, youth are transformed into resilient entrepreneurs, business and community leaders, and mental health advocates.
Job Description: We offer motivated individuals the opportunity to engage youth leaders in innovative mental health and social entrepreneurship programming.
- Teach 2 - 8 FIRE Within classes per week at multiple assigned schools
- Inspire students to develop life-changing leadership skills
- Deliver FIRE Within curriculum during the fall semester and guide students through independent project implementation during the spring semester
- Engage and build relationships with principals, teachers, counselors, and stakeholders to explain program goals and actively involve them in student learning
- Facilitate program evaluation and help track student gains throughout the year
- Participate in FIRE Within events including Innovation Challenge and the Social Enterprise of the Year Competition
- VERY PART-TIME JOB; Average weekly commitment is 5-15 hours per week.
- FIRE Within will be taught September, 2016 – April, 2017
- Educators are required to attend a 4 day staff training in Denver August 22-25th
- New Educators earn a total stipend of $1350 per school
- Schedules will be determined in partnership with classroom teachers
- FIRE Within classes may be in schools in Adams, Arapahoe, Aurora, Broomfield, Boulder, Denver, El Paso, Jefferson, Larimer, Pueblo, and Weld counties.
- Experience teaching, facilitating, and/or presenting
- Experience working with high school aged youth preferred
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Creativity, flexibility, enthusiasm, positivity, patience, and a good sense of humor
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in education, psychology, business, or a related field
- Background check is required
Preferred candidates will also have the following:
- Knowledge of social entrepreneurship and/or business education
- Knowledge of suicide prevention and/or mental health promotion
TO APPLY: Email Cover Letter, Resume, and 3 References to Mike Guthrie at email@example.com.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled. For full consideration please submit your materials as soon as possible.