Carson J Spencer Foundation
Request for Social Enterprise Business Plans:
Advancing the Double Bottom Line of Social Awareness and
Financial Sustainability for Mental Health Initiatives
The Carson J Spencer Foundation (CJSF) is sponsoring a business plan competition awarding $5,000 of start-up or capacity building funds for sustainable social enterprises addressing suicide prevention and mental health promotion.
In alliance with its mission, CJSF is interested in supporting organizations that:
- Increase awareness of bipolar disorder and suicide
- Increase early identification and intervention for mental disorders that pose a risk for suicide
- Actively work toward promoting mental health
- Promote social action and public involvement in suicide prevention
- Are innovative, entrepreneurial and self-sustaining (bringing a product or service to market)
- Are collaborative and desire to a build lasting relationship with CJSF
What is Social Enterprise?
What is Venture Philanthropy?
- Building a parnter relationship with our grantee. We believe that investment in our relationships is more effective than charity.
- Funding goes toward start-up expenses for a social enterprise with the hope that the product or services becomes self-sustaining.
- Social enterprise impacts a "double bottom line," offering financial and social returns to the parent nonprofit organization and the larger social cause.